delete

‘Still Star-Crossed’ ABC Series Moving To Saturday After 3 Monday Airings

Shondaland’s Still Star-Crossed‘s Monday run is over after three low-rated outings. Starting this coming week, the Romeo & Juliet sequel will no longer air in its assigned Monday time slot. After a break, the ABC series will continue its freshman run on July 8, airing on Saturdays.

The scheduling downgrade is a clear sign that the midlevel drama won’t go beyond its first season. Still Star-Crossed is expected to get a de facto cancellation next week when the options on the cast expire.

An adaptation of Melinda Taub’s novel, Still Star-Crossed landed ABC’s best summer time slot, behind The Bachelorette. It opened with underwhelming 2.3 million viewers and 0.5 adults 18-49 rating (Live+same day) and since has slipped to 1.6 million viewers and a 0.3 in the demo earlier this week.

delete

YouTube CEO Unveils User Numbers, Plans For VR And Live Streaming

YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki apparently had a lot to crow about at her appearance today at the VidCon confab for online video fans and creators.

She disclosed to the Anaheim gathering that YouTube now logs 1.5 billion viewers a month.

“That’s the equivalent of one in every five people around the world,” she says. “And how much do those people watch? On average, our viewers spend over an hour a day watching YouTube on mobile devices alone.”

The Google-owned company also talked up a plans to help people upload virtual reality videos with new cameras that capture 180-degree images in 3-D– making them more affordable than ones needed for a full surround 360-degrees.

With the new format, called VR180, and cameras, creators “only have to worry about recording what’s in front of them while viewers get an awesome, immersive experience with a VR headset, or a video that looks just as great on a phone as any other video,” she says.

The company is working with LG, Yi and Lenovo to on cameras expected to cost “a couple hundred dollars,” she says.

The CEO also disclosed changes in YouTube’s mobile app so it will automatically fill screens for vertical, square, or horizontal videos.

The desktop experience will also get a makeover.

“The new design is clean and fresh, and it has new features, such as a super cool Dark Theme that gives videos more of a cinematic look,” according to Wojcicki.

She also has an update for YouTube TV, Google’s $35-a-month live-TV streaming service: It’s about to add 10 markets to the five it had when it launched in April, says.

In a few weeks the service will be available in Dallas-Fort Worth, Washington, D.C., Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, Detroit, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, and Charlotte.

The announcement suggests that the company has agreements to retransmit broadcasts from local affiliates of ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC.

YouTube TV launched in April in New York, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago and Philadelphia where the networks own their local stations.

delete

Amazon Studios Moving Into Culver Studios’ Famed ‘Gone With The Wind’ Mansion?

Amazon Studios soon could be taking up residence at one of the most iconic mansions in Hollywood – the so-called “Gone with the Wind” mansion on the Culver Studios lot.

Neither Amazon nor Culver Studios would confirm or deny rumors circulating on the lot, but three sources have told Deadline that it’s true. “That’s what I heard,” said a Culver Studios source. “I heard they’re moving in,” said another.


Amazon Studios

“Amazon Studios is about to take over a large portion of the campus – specifically the old ‘Gone with the Wind’ mansion and all the bungalows,” said an anonymous source, who first tipped Deadline to the story.

Such a move would put the industry disruptor right in the heart of a nearly 100-year-old L.A. show business institution.

Amazon is expected to move out of its Santa Monica headquarters as it has been growing in size, and Culver Studios is known to have been among the considered sites. The company has a history with the lot; one of the first two Amazon Originals, the 2013 comedy Betas, was filmed there.

“As the home of significant movie and television production for nearly 100 years, the Culver Studios continues to be a destination for worldwide content providers,” said Michael Goldfarb, VP Business Development at the Culver Studios. “While we are tremendously proud of our client roster over the years, we remain steadfastly committed to protecting their confidentiality in support of the content they create within our walls. As a matter of policy, we never comment on the status of any company that may or may not be working on our lot.”

Said Amazon spokeswoman Cat Kelty. “Thanks for reaching out,” “I don’t have anything to share.”

The Mansion House, which has landmark status, was not the fabled Tara from Gone with the Wind, but it did serve as a backdrop in the film’s opening credits for Selznick International Studios, which produced the picture. You can see the mansion in the film’s opening credits here:

[embedded content]

The Culver Studios was built in 1918 by silent movie pioneer Thomas Ince, and the Mansion was the first building to go up on the lot. Modeled after Mount Vernon, George Washington’s plantation house, it once was the headquarters for David O. Selznick and Cecil B. DeMille – and, according to the Culver Studios’s website, some say that the “night spirit” of star Gloria Swanson “roams the halls of the mansion.”

delete

YouTube Red Orders Series Produced By Dwayne Johnson, Dan Harmon & More

YouTube Red is ramping up its original programming, ordering four new series, Good Game from Dan Harmon’s Starburns Industries; unscripted competition series Lace Up: The Ultimate Sneaker Challenge; scripted series Lifeline and Furze World Wonders featuring YouTube star Colin Furze. The projects were announced today during YouTube Red’s Vidcon presentation. They join previously announced Ryan Hansen Solves Crimes on Television* starring Ryan Hansen, and Do You Want To See A Dead Body? from Rob Huebel.

Good Game, from Dan Harmon’s Starburns Industries, is a new scripted series that follows a newly formed team of eSports players trying to make it to the top in the cutthroat world of competitive gaming. It stars the Game Grumps’ Dan Avidan and Arin Hanson along with Michele Morrow. Good Game debuts on YouTube Red on August 30.

YouTube Red

Unscripted competition series Lace Up: The Ultimate Sneaker Challenge hails from veteran TV producer Ken Mok and famed sneaker designer D’Wayne Edwards. Hosted by YouTube star Swoozie, it features aspiring footwear creators from around the world who battle it out to determine who can design, develop and produce the next great sneaker.

Lifeline, produced by Dwayne Johnson and Dan Garcia’s Seven Bucks Productions and Studio71, is set in the not-too-distant future and centers on a little known life insurance company that sends its agents forward 33 days in time to prevent the accidental deaths of its clients. The company’s best agent, Conner Hooks (Zach Gilford), has never missed a save – until he takes on the most personal case of his life. When sixteen-year-old Norah (Sydney Park) is orphaned on his watch, Conner pledges to protect her, even if that means putting his career at Lifeline – or his own life – in jeopardy.

Furze World Wonders stars YouTube’s Colin Furze, who’s known for his incredible backyard inventions. In this new series, Furze puts his unique talents to use for other people, such as helping a brother and sister achieve a Guinness World Records title for the largest water rocket or creating an epic battle barge for a family looking to even the score in an annual water fight. It’s produced by 9 Story Media Group.

YouTube Red also announced the renewal of five series, Escape The Night (Season 2), Foursome (Season 3), Rhett & Link’s Buddy System (Season 2), Mine Field (Season 2), Fight of the Living Dead (Season 2). It also greenlighted a sequel for popular movie Lazer Team.

delete

‘Making A Murderer’ Subject Closer To Release After Appeals Court Win

The U.S. Court of Appeals in Chicago has ruled that Brendan Dassey, one of two men convicted of the murder profiled in the Netflix docuseries Making A Murderer, should be released from prison after affirming a lower court ruling that his confession was coerced.

Dassey was sentenced to live in prison in 2007 in Wisconsin for his alleged participation in the 2005 death of 25-year-old photographer Teresa Halbac; his uncle Steven Avery was found guilty of Halbach’s murder. In August, U.S. Magistrate Judge William Duffin overturned Dassey’s conviction, ruling that the court found his confession was involuntary.

The three-judge panel in the U.S Court of Appeals in the Seventh Circuit affirmed Duffin’s ruling today, and said he should be released if not retried within 90 days back in Wisconsin. “The writ of habeas corpus is GRANTED unless the State of Wisconsin elects to retry Dassey within 90 days of issuance of this court’s mandate, or of the Supreme Court’s final mandate,” the judges wrote.

A Wisconsin Department of Justice spokesman told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that it is “evaluating the 2-1 decision from the court. We anticipate seeking review by the entire 7th Circuit or the United States Supreme Court and hope that today’s erroneous decision will be reversed. We continue to send our condolences to the Halbach family as they have to suffer through another attempt by Mr. Dassey to re-litigate his guilty verdict and sentence.”

One of Dasssy’s attorneys, Steven A Drizin?, tweeted today’s news.

THIS JUST IN. 7th Circuit AFFIRMS Judge Duffin in 2-1 decision. This round goes to Brendan Dassey 2-1 (Judge Hamilton dissenting).

— Steven A Drizin (@SDrizin) June 22, 2017

delete

Neve Campbell Teams with The Rock in Skyscraper

With a release date already set, Universal and Legendary have found the next cast member to star alongside Dwayne Johnson in their action-thriller Skyscraper, with Neve Campbell joining the cast. No details have been given for her character at this time, but it’s possible that the actress could be playing the wife of Dwayne Johnson’s Will Ford. Story details released in March revealed that Will Ford is trying to rescue his family in what was thought to be the safest building in the world.

Deadline broke the news today, although they don’t have more on the character or the story. Dwayne Johnson’s Will Ford is a former FBI Hostage Rescue Team leader and U.S. war veteran, who now assesses security for skyscrapers. On assignment in China he finds the tallest, safest building in the world suddenly ablaze, and he’s been framed for it. Will has become a wanted man who must go on the run, find those responsible and clear his name, while also rescuing his family who is trapped inside the building… above the fire line.

We first reported on this Dwayne Johnson action-thriller in May 2016, when Legendary emerged victorious in a bidding war for writer-director Rawson Marshall Thurber’s script, which the studio reportedly shelled out a whopping $3 million for. The story is said to be in the same vein as the 1970s classic The Towering Inferno, and this story is even more timely than ever now. Earlier this month, a fire blazed through Greenfell Tower, a 24-story high-rise apartment building in London, which left more than 79 people presumed dead or missing after the blaze. It remains to be seen if this real-life story will have any impact on this fictional thriller.

Production will begin in August, with Universal and Legendary already setting a July 13, 2018 date, setting it in the midst of a competitive summer movie season. Skyscraper will open against the animated sequel Hotel Transylvania 3 and the horror spin-off The Nun. Arriving a week earlier on July 6, 2018 is Marvel’s highly-anticipated Ant-Man and the Wasp, which will also start production soon, and Lionsgate’s action-comedy The Spy Who Dumped Me. Opening a week after Skyscraper on July 20, 2018 is 20th Century Fox’s long-gestating Alita: Battle Angel from director Robert Rodriguez and Universal’s musical sequel Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!

Rawson Marshall Thurber is directing Skyscraper from his own script, with this project reuniting him and “The Rock” after their action-comedy Central Intelligence, which earned $216.9 million worldwide from a $50 million budget. Dwayne Johnson is currently shooting his video game adaptation Rampage, and it seems likely that he’ll move directly from that project to Skyscraper. Neve Campbell can currently be seen on Netflix’s hit series House of Cards, where she plays Leann Harvey. With production beginning in just a few months on Skyscraper, we should be hearing about more casting additions soon.

delete

Fantastic Four Is Returning to Marvel Comics with a Big Twist

Are you ready for the Fantastic Four to make their glorious return to the world of Marvel? Well, you are at least halfway in luck, because it sounds like half of the famous Marvel Comics foursome are making their way back to the publisher’s lineup in the near future. We are probably getting a new Fantastic Four comic, but this time, it’ll be more like the Fantastic Two, or something like that.

The news comes directly from Marvel Comics Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso who, without saying much, pretty much said everything we need to hear. He posted a picture featuring Ben Grimm, aka Thing, sporting the classic Fantastic Four belt on his signature blue bottoms. Only with a twist. Instead of the usually appropriate number 4 on his belt, it is a number 2, heavily implying that Marvel’s famous supergroup is going to be a duo this time around. Alonso’s caption only furthers that idea.

“It takes 2″

Even if it is just two of the four members of the Fantastic Four, this is a pretty big deal. The group hasn’t been present in Marvel Comics since the end of the Secret Wars crossover event, and Marvel decided to end the Fantastic Four comic in April of 2015 at issue 645. Given that 20th Century Fox currently holds the movie rights to the characters and that was four months before the release of the failed Fantastic Four reboot, it seemed like a safe bet that the publisher was doing this to spite their rival studio in some way. Granted, Marvel never confirmed that, and even if that were the case, it isn’t as though they could come right out and say it. But now, more than two years later, it looks like their return is imminent. In some form or another.

Warning: some minor spoilers ahead for the current Guardians of the Galaxy comic and some other general Marvel Comics happenings. Following the events of Secret Wars, Reed Richards and Sue Storm, along with their children Valeria and Franklin, took a journey into the Multiverse to try and repair the destruction caused by the war. They have been there ever since. Ben Grimm joined up with the Guardians of the Galaxy, but recently returned to earth. As for Johnny Storm, he joined up with the Inhumans. However, given this tease from Axel Alonso, we can guess that he’ll be back with his old buddy Ben very soon.

As for the Fantastic Four on the big screen, rumor has it Fox is currently working on a new movie that would center on Reed and Sue’s kids Valeria and Franklin, with more of an Incredibles vibe to it. Marvel Studios insists they have no plans for Fantastic Four and Fox doesn’t seem to want to give up the rights. So, why not bring them back into the comics? No sense in keeping some fan-favorite characters out of the comic book side of things. You can check out the Fantastic Four tease photo from Axel Alonso for yourself below.

It takes 2 pic.twitter.com/6UNbi2VVjd

— axel alonso (@axelalonsomarv) June 21, 2017

delete

Wonder Woman Soars Past $600M at the Worldwide Box Office

Safe to say, Warner Bros. has a very big, and very important hit on their hands. After three weeks in theaters, Wonder Woman has already cemented itself as the best movie in the DC Extended Universe, and it could even manage to outgross Man of Steel in the coming weeks. But as of today, Wonder Woman has officially crossed the $600 million mark at the international box office, making it a financial and critical success for the studio. And the movie still has a long way to go.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, that $600 million figure puts Wonder Woman inches from a very significant milestone. Once the movie passes $609.8 million worldwide, which it will easily do this weekend, probably before Friday is over with, that will make Wonder Woman the highest-grossing live-action movie ever directed by a female director. The previous record holder is Mama Mia!, which was directed by Phyllida Lloyd and came out back in 2008. So it looks like Patty Jenkins’ first movie since Monster is a pretty big deal and should give her a whole lot of power in Hollywood moving forward.

As for how Wonder Woman stacks up against the rest of the DCEU financially, it is still the lowest-grossing of the four movies released so far, but that will almost certainly change by the end of its theatrical run. Man of Steel’s $668 million total is easily in reach, and Suicide Squad, which managed a very impressive $745 million last year, could be attainable as well. But that may be pushing it at this point. Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice will, in all likelihood, remain at the top of the heap with $873 million. But nobody would have ever expected a solo Wonder Woman movie would even get close to what a movie featuring Batman and Superman on the big screen together for the first time ever was able to bring in. And hey, let’s not forget that Gal Gadot was in that movie as well.

Wonder Woman is going to be financially successful no matter how you slice it at this point. Domestically, it is definitely going to beat Man of Steel, which topped out at $291 million. Wonder Woman already has $289. But more importantly, the DCEU movies have been divisive at best. Critics truly hated both Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad. With Wonder Woman, Warner Bros. managed to garner terrific reviews from both fans and critics alike. That was more than needed at this point. Not to mention how much good favor they earned by having a female direct the movie. Plus, this has proved that female directors can do these movies just as well, if not better, than male directors can. That is going to (hopefully) open a lot of doors for other directors.

It hasn’t been formally announced yet, but Patty Jenkins is currently working on the story for Wonder Woman 2 with DCEU head Geoff Johns. Both Jenkins and Gal Gadot should be looking at a pretty big payday for that movie, since Jenkins only had a one-picture-deal and Gadot was paid $300,000 for her part. A pretty reasonable chunk of that $600 million will be lining their pockets, and they deserve it.

Page 1 of 1,39912345...102030...Last »